Sunday, October 14, 2007

Tribute to a New-Englander


Perhaps the sharp detail of this digital photo speaks most clearly of its recent taking; except for this and the green truck we might imagine this as a picture of yesterday, painstakingly taken, carefully developed, and lovingly hand-tinted. One might indeed feel that such a copy would have been more realistic, doing true justice to the care and love and energy put into the splitting of wood- especially in this case in which the work was completed with an axe, my grandfather's heart-warming effort spent at nearly eighty years old. To almost carelessly take such an image hardly captures the emotion, my only comforts being in my own experience of satisfaction in a well-stacked woodpile and the priviledge to peek in on such a moment while on horseback. To quote the native New-Englander Robert Frost: "Whose woods these are I think I know..."; thank you, Grandpa.




1 comment:

Alex said...

Isn't wood heat by far the best? I can understand your sentiments when every day that I get home from my classes my own grandfather tells of how many cord of wood he cut or split or sold.