Friday, July 9, 2010

Distractions

"They are not quite decent," indeed, "to tell the truth" and to borrow, just for a moment, the words of Jane Kenyon.

Waving to all who peer out into the courtyard, they perch on the best ride in town, the top down, the wind in their hair, their showy white hats blowing about their faces and feathering and silking upward to a brilliant pink tip.

And the way they carry their limbs! Just so, like the male swan, neck curved, pinioned wings gracefully drooped to draw the eye of the lovely female--

I feel I ought to give them a thick bottomed glass and pour them a drink of my very best, sit in their company, lean in to catch the fragrance of their light perfume,

Which I do,

They, resting daintily on the edge and then sliding their slender, brown legs into the very middle, properly bent beneath them at the knee,

Sipping up the sparkling water with their toes.

2 comments:

Jonas said...

Emily,

I really enjoyed reading this. You have an awesome ability to write.

... reckon that is what the above commenter was trying to get at as well :)

Caitlin said...

:) I have dual appreciation for mimosa trees. Their delicate blossoms are a wonderful attraction for butterflies and moths! I remember being entranced by the gigantic one behind my great-grandmothers house as it buzzed with insect life. And they also grow at rather impressive rate - at least here in the south. I've spent many an hour with a mattock and saw battling out their roots and cutting down their trunks trying to stay abreast of their militia-like strategies to infiltrate our property :)
So I appreciate your "exquisite" word poetries - to give me a graceful pause in their consideration.
"Sipping sparkling water with their toes" - it made my own toes wriggle with delight!
Thank you.