Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Teacher Appreciation

Some teachers get:

Free Chipotle burritos (because Chipotle chooses their burgeoning town)
Roses smothered in baby's breath and stuffed into high-collared crystal vases
Glittering gift cards to the local Barnes & Noble bookstore
Fancy felt-tipped markers.

I get:

One long Lindt truffle
Daffodils picked by 8th grade hands and popped into a cobalt bottle
Narcissus blossoms launching out of a root-packed pint jar
A flowery metal garden spike, cheerfully painted
A heart made of out-of-the-past melted plastic beads
A Pink Lady, a Fuji, or a Gala, taut-skinned and crisp
Cookies, still warm and breathing heavily from their adventure
A rotund owl who looks at me all day, unblinking, till I turn him to face my students
And an aquaponically-nourished, fish-poop-fed, glowing orange orb of perfection
Which I can't quit staring at.

They may get nice things,
But I get love.

No comments: