Sunday, February 10, 2008

Sing Me a Riddle

A certain assignment of mine was to try my hand at writing a riddle. I must admit that my fingers have never tried their skills on such a project and so am curious if anyone can figure it out... a certain MLK is not allowed to post her guess as she already knows the answer.
I come bearing blossoms
Sweetly heralding the bride of summer,
Vestured newly in the ivory of Lily of the Valley.
Grandparents sigh and point smiling to see me
Scattering Hepaticas
As I mince my way down the springy, new, green carpet,
I have slipped off my snowy sandals,
Flaunting my fine toes in their own brown flesh.
My voice is fresh:
The laughter of a child,
The chirp of birds made cheerful
In familiar places.
I am five, always young again after many years
Mostly past weeping except for in my joy.
My tresses are garlanded with baby Beech leaves,
The May-flower called Trailing Arbutus,
The Pea sprouts of a new planting,
Green twigs, perfuming my paths with growth;
All nourished by my warm nature
And the sunny smile of my wide, blue eyes.

2 comments:

Alex said...

I have two guesses, but I'm not sure of either one:

Spring?

a mountain stream?

EEK said...

Neither, but the first guess is close-- The answer is more specific than you might think