Sunday, August 31, 2008

Tone

If I were to see me lifting weights, I am sure I would laugh. To use the explanation my friend Cathy gives, I am like a stretched-out rubber band, just as strong as the unstretched ones but rather less convincing.

But I continue to get up a bit earlier most mornings so that I can either go running (in the dark, here) or patter down the stairs to the Lamson Hall Health Club to lift weights. Some of my friends have marveled at this, mumbling something about my self-motivation, but I know that this phenomena has nothing to do with me. I know that Someone shakes me out of bed even when my alarm does not do its part.

Romans 15:1 reads: "Now we who are strong ought to bear the weaknesses of those without strength and not just please ourselves." God has given me the ability to rise early and exercise, but beyond this, He has given me the desire to seek Him. Through both my physical and spiritual workouts I continue to grow and find in Him the tone that I have always desired.

But with the extra strength comes responsibility and encouragement to be granted to others--especially to those still asleep and struggling to rise out of bed.

1 comment:

Alex said...

You should hear some of your cousin's choice comments concerning the hour at which you rise and your reason for doing so.